Albert Einstein teaching a physics class at Lincoln university (HCBU in Pennsylvania) in 1946
|—||Charles Bukowski (via fawun)|
The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 67% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 53 commisioned officers —3 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. This is Not the first time Ferguson’s police have been heavy handed with it’s Black residents - Innocent Black man beaten by cops, then charged with bleeding on police officer’s uniforms
9. So please - don’t get it twisted
dog cloud over Manhattan
Oscar Santillan: Daybreak, visual installation
South American artist Oscar Santillan plays with shadows as his artwork focuses on creating ornate window installation right on the wall of the gallery.
The installation entitled Daybreak is created through a sanding process where the artist sands paint off the wall and uses the powder that falls off to create the floor shadow replica. This technique is not only clever, but it is an extremely simple and effective way to make use of as little material as possible.
His work plays with optical illusions as well as with light, shadows and perspective. The results are beautiful and intricate windows, that would most likely be seen in cathedrals. Just like the way sun and light shines through windows and emanates a shadow, Oscar Santillan effectively accomplishes this with his beautiful pieces
is this beautiful solidarity too much for you, anon?
|—||LAPD officer Sunil Dutta, writing 100% seriously in a WaPo op-ed entitled (I kid you not) “I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me.” (via hipsterlibertarian)|